Year 1 2020 - 2021
Irish Mails Class Teacher
Flying Scotsman Class Teacher
Welcome to Year 1!
If your child is in Flying Scotsman Class, their Class Teacher is Mrs Watkins-Smith. If your child is in Irish Mails Class, their Class Teacher is Miss Hildebrandt. Year 1 Classes are supported by Mrs Campbell and Mrs Jones, our Teaching Assistants.
Key Information for Autumn Term
Whilst we will do our utmost to provide as safe an environment for pupils as we can, we remain in an unprecedented situation.We aim to be very clear and honest about what provision will look like to support families.
- Children should wear full uniform and black school shoes.
- Children should not need to bring bags, pencil cases, PE kits, lunch boxes or other personal items to school.
- Children should bring a water bottle with their name marked on it.
- Children will be in their class groups and will stay in their class groups for the day, including break and lunch times.
- Children will be provided with their own pens, pencil etc for use in school.
- School lunches will be packed lunches for the first half of the term.
- If your child is bringing a snack or packed lunch from home, please send it in a disposable paper bag, not a lunch box.
- Staff will encourage hand hygiene and positive hygiene practices throughout the day.
Children in Year 1 should be reading at home for a short time every day. Regular practise really helps them to become confident readers.
Reading books will be changed twice a week, with the children starting to become more responsible for choosing their own books as the year progresses. Please continue to sign the reading record books so that we know that your child has shared their book with you. We will send home a library book each week that your child has chosen themselves, after the Autumn Term. Normally, book bags would need to be in school every day, however children are not to bring their bag to school due to the measures we are taking to minimise the risk of coronavirus in school.
The children will also be given word activities or spelling patterns linked to their phonics, which they can access on the school website each week. We will review these with the children each Monday and let you know how they get on.
Maths activities will occasionally be set and will be chosen to support our current learning in the classroom. They may take the form of a simple game or activity which you can have fun doing with your child. Any homework will be shared and given a special stamp of achievement.
Useful Websites for Additional Learning
Children will have PE twice a week. Your child will need a full PE kit from the beginning of the academic year. The PE kit is normally kept in school on the children’s peg and sent home at the end of every half-term to be washed, however during the Autumn Term, children are not to bring their kit to school due to the measures we are taking to minimise the risk of coronavirus in school. Instead, parents will be informed of the days in which children are to wear appropriate sport wear to school for the whole day.
Please download the curriculum overviews below to see what your child will be learning this term. For more information about the National Curriculum, simply speak with your child's Teacher or visit the National Curriculum website.
Files to Download
Year 1: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 1: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 1: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 1: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display