Wellbeing During the Coronavirus Pandemic
www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/#collapse7fa89 Some great advice and support that cover the topics below; practical advice for staying at home and taking care of your mental health and wellbeing.
www.place2be.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blogs/2020/march/coronavirus-information-for-children/ Links to videos and articles that will help you to answer questions your child may have during this difficult time.
www.cheshireyoungcarers.org/ Cheshire Young Carers support young carers across Cheshire in three key areas, school holiday respite programmes, individual & group support where necessary plus working with schools/colleges to provide specialised support where required.
www.nosycrow.com/blog/released-today-free-information-book-explaining-coronavirus-children-illustrated-gruffalo-illustrator-axel-scheffler/ Book targeted at KS2 explaining Coronavirus.
Everybody Worries by Jon Burgerman
https://en.calameo.com/read/000777721945cfe5bb9cc?authid=Xu9pcOzU3TQx A picture book for children who are worried about the coronavirus. (include an image of the front cover).
Please see the document below for a list of more useful texts to build resilience in difficult times.
This releases chemicals, in your body, like endorphins and serotonin that help to improve your mood. If you exercise regularly, it can reduce your stress and symptoms of mental health conditions like depression and anxiety.
- Cosmic Kids A great website full of videos that make Yoga fun for everyone.
- Go Noodle Go Noodle gets children up and moving to fun, engaging content and games. It allows children to wake up their bodies as well as engaging their minds.
- BBC Super Movers These are videos that will get your child up and moving, and they are linked to the curriculum. The can also be selected based on which key stage your child is in.
- Joe Wicks Daily PE Lesson While the schools are closed, the famous exercise guru Joe Wicks is running a live PE lesson every week day at 9am from his YouTube channel.
This can help children to regulate their emotions, thereby having fewer meltdowns, reduce their impulsivity and improve concentration and focus.
- New Horizon: Kids Meditation Struggling to get the kids to sleep? Allow these relaxing Sleep Stories, Guided Meditations and purposely-designed Sleep Meditations to get your little ones off to a perfect nights rest (also a free app that can be downloaded).
- Guided Meditation for Children This website offers guided meditation through the form of audio clips.
Mindfulness colouring is a relaxing and calming activity which can also encourage children to explore their creativity while improving fine motor skills.
- Minfulness Colouring In Sheets Plenty of lovely animal pictures that can be downloaded for free.
- More Mindfulness Colouring Pages On here there are some beautiful intricate designs that can be printed for children and adults.
- Mindfulness Activities A list of 5-10 minute mindfulness activities you children could do daily.
Self-esteem helps children cope with mistakes and build their resilience. It helps them try again, even if they fail at first. As a result, self-esteem will help them do better at school, at home, and with friends. Children with low self-esteem feel unsure of themselves, so improving self-esteem, improves confidence.
- Self-esteem and Character Building for Kids This website offers lots of lovely activities and games that you can complete with your children.
- Self-esteem Printable Activities There are some wonderful activities here that you can print off for children.
Important now more than ever but educating children on good hygiene is the best way to avoid the spread of infection and disorders; teaching the principles of correct hygiene at an early age can help keep individuals healthy in later life, and be taught to future generations.
- Hygiene Activities Great list of fun, engaging and exciting hygiene themed activities to do with children, particularly for younger children.
- Food Hygiene There are some free food hygiene worksheets here for KS1 and KS2.
- Hygiene & Health Games This website will give you links to a variety of resources that link to hygiene and health. For example; personal hygiene, staying fit, nutrition, human body.
Nutrition and Diet
Eating a nutritious diet helps you keep a healthy body. It also helps reduce your risk of developing some chronic diseases. New research finds that your food choices may also affect your mood and mental health. This is sometimes called the “food-mood connection.”
- Food Facts Lots of free resources that teach children where food comes from, hot to cooking and about healthy eating. There are also some lovely recipes on here if you are struggling for ideas with meals.
Self-care is about the things that we can do to look after our own mental health.
- Self-care Tips A variety of activates that will help you and your child to manage your wellbeing.
- Calm Zone Plenty of breathing exercise, activities, games and videos to help let go of stress.
- Self-care Journal You can set your child up with a free account where they can keep an online mood journal, along with plenty of other self-care activities
You can set your child up with a free account where they can keep an online mood journal, along with plenty of other self-care activities
Gardening is educational and develops new skills including: Responsibility – from caring for plants. Understanding – as they learn about cause and effect (for example, plants die without water, weeds compete with plants) Self-confidence – from achieving their goals and enjoying the food they have grown.
Please also look at the Outdoor Learning page of our website for some outdoor, well-being activities.
- BBC Gardening with Kids Different educational gardening activities developed with RHS.
- Garden Activities Fun activities for families to learn together, while encouraging love for nature.
- Outdoor Home Learning Ideas