The Pupil Premium is additional funding for publicly funded schools in England. It is designed to help disadvantaged pupils of all abilities to perform better and close the gap between them and their peers. Funding is based on children registered for a free school meal, further reinforcing the importance of making sure all those who qualify are actually registered.
Your child may be entitled to receive free school meals if you are entitled to receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
To apply, please call: 0300 1237021 or apply online at www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk
What happens next?
Your entitlement will begin on the day your application is processed by the Customer Contact Centre, not the date you become eligible to any of the stated benefits. Claims will NOT be backdated. A letter of entitlement will be sent to the school.
Until school receives confirmation of your childs' entitlement, any school meals taken would be charged at the current daily rate.
Free School Meal Vouchers During the Covid-19 Outbreak
The guidance, including new information and frequently asked questions about the National Free School Meal Voucher Scheme can be found from the DfE website via the following link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-free-school-meals-guidance
The Free School Meal voucher does not include Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) where all government funded schools to offer free school meals to pupils in reception, year 1, and year 2.
If your child was receiving UIFSM but you believe you may be eligible for Free School Meals please apply here https://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/education-and-learning/school-meals.aspx